Monday, March 28, 2011

Japan

A little un-known fact about myself is that my great-grandfather was a famous American actor in Japan. He starred in a ton of Japanese films, the most well-known being -- get this: King Kong vs. Godzilla. His second marriage to a Japanese woman led to the ties my family still has there today. My uncles and cousins, having a second home there, still travel to Japan frequently. Japanese snacks such as seaweed-covered hot crackers (at least that's what I called them) always made their way into Grandma's house at some point in the year -- as well as gorgeous vases (like this one that sits on my bedside chair), Japanese dolls, kimonos and the like.



With friends and family being over there during this devastating time, my heart pours out prayers for them on a daily basis. It's easy to wake up in our comfortable lives, forgetting - so I feel challenged to try and incorporate Japan into my home and into the things I love just as these designers and artists are doing. Proceeds from the sales of these products (found via sfgirlbybay.com) will all go to aid in relief efforts for Japan and will stand to be a constant reminder to pray for this nation.


for japan by Alicia Bock






hilda grahnat’s prints for shop japan


-Chelsea

No comments:

Post a Comment